The Wakefield High School Education Foundation, Inc.
1. What is it? A public charity established by several Wakefield graduates as a non-profit Corporation in Virginia in September of 1986.
2. Are contributions tax deductible? Yes. The Foundation's status as a public charity has been formally recognized by the Internal Revenue Service.
3. Where does it get its funds? Funds are raised annually by soliciting Alumni, Staff, Parents and Friends of Wakefield High School.
4. Can contributions be made through the United Way and Combined Federal Campaign? Yes. The Wakefield Foundation can be designated in the United Way Campaigns and the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC), as well as through America's Charities, Inc. Our United Way designation number is 8707 and CFC number is 66600.
5. What does the Foundation do with the funds? It provides college scholarships to deserving Wakefield graduates.
6. How much are the scholarships? The scholarships are $10,000 - paid out at the rate of $1,250 per semester, and $4,000 scholarships given to students attending Northern Virginia Community College.
7. How is the number of scholarships determined? In general, the number of scholarships is determined by the amount raised prior to the May selection meeting. Only a small reserve of funds is held from year-to-year.
8. How are the recipients selected? A Committee consisting of alumni from different classes and faculty representative reviews the applications and selects the scholars.
9. What are the expenses of the Foundation? The expenses are basically limited to printing and mailing the newsletter (at the bulk non-profit rate). All work is done by volunteers.
10. Who manages the Foundation? A Board of Trustees. As well there are volunteers who serve as a contact with each class of scholars, help organize special events, raise funds, produce the annual newsletter and review applications for the Hall of Fame. To volunteer your time, contact email@example.com.
11. Where can I get additional information? Write to:
Wakefield High School Education Foundation
PO Box 41675,
Arlington, VA 22204
or email the Foundation President Conchita Saulmon Mitchell '66 at firstname.lastname@example.org.